Every night for about 6 weeks we slept in our bed surrounded very closely by our dressers. Like I mentioned in my last post, I couldn’t seem to get the mail let alone paint a whole room a couple months ago so it took me way longer than it should have to finish our bedroom. I wouldn’t say it’s completely finished now but man o’ man is it way better than before. Red trim and flower border, be gone!
Here’s what came with the house: floral wallpaper and blood red trim.
Once the wallpaper was down, I painted the walls with two coats of a Valspar Ultra Paint + Primer that I found on the sale rack in Lowe’s. The trim took a lot longer since it was red to begin with. If I remember correctly I did two coats of oil-based primer and two coats of Olympic semi-gloss white paint.
Tip: To save myself some time I used an angled brush with a short handle to do all of the edges. I only needed tape on the floors to prevent anything from getting on the wood. It would have taken me so much longer if I had taped the whole room too. Get this brush and a steady hand, your patience with thank you.
Six coats and many hours later it was done.
My favorite part is decorating so once the walls were dry, I got to it.
The first thing I did was hang the curtains. The sellers actually left these hanging down in the den. In the future I’d like to sew some big blackout curtains but for now these white curtains are great. They let the light filter in nicely during the day and give us enough privacy at night.
I already had my bedding. Instead of buying a matchy matchy bed set like I would normally do, about a year ago I went to HomeGoods with my mom and pieced together these colors and textures. The sea foam green quilt is a nice wavy pattern that I thought contrasted well with the gray geometric shams. I added the little accent pillow for more contrast, a different texture, and a little glam. 🙂
The art above the bed is a collection of random pieces I had up in the attic. To balance out the dark furniture in the room I used lots of different frames. I’ve got a photographic print that my photography teacher gave me, one of our wedding photos, and two paintings I did in grad school. I love seeing them and remembering those moments in time.
Oh and I really just eye-balled the layout. I had a picture in my head so I arranged the pieces on the bed to see if it would work first. Then I mentally measured where the center of the grouping was (on the left side of the big, wood frame) and centered that above the bed. Then I hung the last three pieces about 2 inches from the middle frame.
Randomly I remembered that I had an old craigslist rocking chair up in the attic so I brought that down to use up an awkward corner of the room. I don’t use it to sit in really but it’s a nice place to lay out my clothes for the next day.
And last but not least I give you Belle’s fancy new bed oh and some good storage. The lady cries at night so we moved her to our room to shut her up. 🙂 The basket underneath the bedside table is one of two that I found thrifting one day. It holds my iPad charger, old magazines, and my wrinkle release spray.
It’s amazing what a little (or a lot) of paint and a few decor items can do!! It’s sooo nice to walk into this room everyday. I love it.
Future fixes: New rug (this one is leftover from the seller), paint the basket, paint the lamp and give it a new shade, new lighting on the ceiling, new curtains, and other stuff I’ve probably forgotten.
Nothing like a semi-completed room to give you that motivation you need to tackle your next project! Onto lots of future that needs refinishing. I really am pumped though! I’ve got lots of ideas brewing.