refreshing the fireplace

I took the following photo of our den when we were first house hunting. Notice the gold fireplace, brown brick, paneled brown walls, and wood grain (?) tiled brown floor. 1970 as I live and breathe.

We’ll be tackling this room project by project. Course it’ll probably be sporadic since I already went from the master bathroom window to the den but it’ll all get done in time! Shall we begin?

I decided to start on the easiest thing first which was the fireplace cover. I like gold in jewelry form but definitely not on my fireplace.

To keep the project ‘green’ I painted the existing cover instead of buying a brand new one. I used this paint from Lowe’s that withstands high heat. We have black fireplace accessories so that’s the color I went with to tie it all together.

To start I took the cover outside and detached the doors from the frame.

Then, per the instructions on the can, I sanded any rough spots with a fine sandpaper first.

I used this ugly blanket because I didn’t want to get the drop cloth, a material that is supposed to be used to catch paint drippings, dirty. My husband was confused and you probably are too.

The next step was cleaning off all the dirt and debris. I used my homemade all-purpose cleaner which worked fine.

I then started on the spray painting. After the first coat of paint, I had the great idea of putting some of those garden stones in the background of the next photo underneath the blanket to elevate the cover. It saved me some time since I was able to spray paint the sides as well as the front. I did the same thing with the doors using flower pots that I have yet to plant anything in.

I protected the glass on the doors with paper I had laying around and painter’s tape.

The front side of the doors were a little tricky because of the curved edges. I cut up small slivers of the tape and curved them along the gold.

I did two coats of paint and finished off the can. I think I’ll need to add one more coat to smooth out the look. It’s a little blotchy due to my spraying ability the windy conditions. Joking aside, it was a bit windy so I should have moved my project to the carport to help make the spay more consistent. Alas, I did not.

If you can tell from the next photo, the ‘black’ of the fireplace cover is much different than the ‘black’ of the fireplace accessories. I’m not sure if it’s because of the matte finish or what. When I head back to Lowe’s for another paint can I might see if there are any other options that would help with this issue. Maybe I need a glossier finish.

Next it’s on to all those brown elements. We’ve got a lot of painting to do!!

———-

Oh and this lady is still around! She’s still screaming up a storm when we leave the house but I THINK she’s getting better. She wags her tail once in a while and is getting used to us and our routine. Pretty darn cute.

That’s a cat bell collar she’s got on, it really helps to know where she is! Ha.

She decided that since none of the blankets were readily available, a pillow perch would have to do. Five minutes later she screamed because she wanted the Snuggie. I gave in to shut her up. 🙂

———-

Have you painted a fireplace before? What color did you use?? I’m thinking white for ours.

Advertisements

4 comments on “refreshing the fireplace

  1. I love your diy posts–it’s like “watching” a quick episode of HGTV!

  2. That is so cute, Adrienne! So crafty! I’m really good at starting projects… and not good at actually finishing them 😉 haha

comments, questions

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s