My husband and I have only lived in our house since December. It’s a cute Dutch Colonial Split-level from 1970. There are no modern updates besides our fridge that we replaced as well as our oven which I talked about in the oven incident. Needless to say, we have a lot of updating to do!
I want to keep stuff as earth friendly as I can. There will be times when I buy new things but I’m going to try my best to keep most of it ‘green’. With that said, I thought I’d put together a little list of ways I hope to go about doing that!
5 way to keep my DIY projects Green:
- Buy used furniture and decor items – We’ve already found this amazing store called Class & Trash here in Richmond where we’ve bought a couple pieces of furniture and some lamps. There are a lot of other stores in the area that we have yet to check out. It’s really fun to dig around in antique stores! American Pickers anyone? We LOVE that show in this house.
- When building a new piece, used reclaimed supplies – My husband and I have a Lowe’s credit card but I recently found out that Habitat for Humanity’s Restore Richmond has a ton of wood and nails that are dirt cheap. Our house has very little storage so I’m thinking my husband will be making a couple shelving units.
- Refinish furniture that we have already have – About two years ago I went on a new furniture shopping spree. Everything is a similar style and therefore pretty boring. What the heck what I thinking? I’m planning on refinishing a couple pieces to give them new life and bring more character to the space.
- Use supplies I have around the house – This will be a little tough in the beginning because we’ve only done a handful of projects BUT I was successful with this for my first DIY project that I’ll be posting next week.
- Deal with what I’ve got – Sometimes you THINK the grass is always greener on the other side – a new stylin’ couch, table, art, etc. but sometimes you just need to look at what you have in a different light. (Wow that line could be applied to everything in life!) If I’m sick of a certain room maybe I just need to rearrange it or switch out the decor! I’ll only need a little time and creativity.
It might be easier to hop in the car and drive to the big box store but I believe it’d be so much more rewarding to creatively find a way to repurpose and reuse old items. Like a design challenge from HGTV!
What’s wrong with the picture above? No, it’s not the mess on the bed with dogs, three different blankets, and pile of toys. 🙂 It’s also not that my buds look miserable and half asleep. Think RED (yuck) and stay tuned for my DIY project next week!
Enjoy the weekend!!